Friday, November 09, 2007

Cioppino Pacific Northwest Style

Cioppino Pacific Northwest Style

Photo & Text Copyright 2007 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

Hey, its Friday. I know this isn't a foodie blog, but lets go out to dinner anyway. There's a long history of cioppino lovers in our family, starting with my parents who spent many a Friday night back in the day at The Gold Spike on Columbus in San Francisco for it's cioppino special. This was the first time I'd experienced an abundance of salmon in the mix of lovely seafood. This presentation is from Ray's Boathouse which offers a sweeping vista of Puget Sound. Uh, please pass the crab cracker. . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome photo...

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I love cioppino, too, and this photo convinced me to make some tonight. Delicious! The only way it could've been better would have been with Penn Cove mussels--and this bowl from Ray's must have them, along with more of my favorite foods from one of my favorite places.

Kim said...

Seattle Foodster,
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I hope SDP readers will check out your awesome food blog which reviews and offers photos of all kinds of wonderful Seattle eating establishments. I enjoyed my visit to your blog!

Anon, Hey, thanks for stopping by and glad the photo inspired your dinner plans! Those were indeed Penn Cove mussels, and I believe the clams were from Washington as well. I don't know where you live, but if it's near any ocean shore, whatever is available locally gives the dish its own special flavor. My mid-atlantic coast relatives' make the most wonderful seafood stew, but they could never replicate the flavors here on the west coast. I've never made cioppino at home--my fam's fave special occasion dish of mine is bouillabaisse, though, a close cousin. I've yet to make it here, and I know it will taste different with the local offerings than it did in the Bay Area. Here in Seattle, the salmon in the fish markets is amazing right now, and the crab abundant. Hope your travels bring you to Seattle soon.
-Kim

Geologychick said...

OMG! YUM! This is actually a Christmas night dinner tradition at my in-laws house! :)