Friday, August 15, 2008

Alki Beach Flower Houses

Alki Beach Houses

Photo & Text Copyright 2008 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

West Seattle's northwest facing view properties along Alki Avenue used to be mostly one and two story single family cottage affairs with a lot of thrifty northwest beachcomber charm; but, in recent decades, a large section near Alki point has been developed into multistory condominium and apartment buildings. There are a few hold outs dwarfed between the larger structures. Here are two of them that you won't miss in the mix because their owner seems to have a love of bright color and a very green thumb. They are known locally as the Flower Houses and are enjoyed by all who pass by.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never seen anything like that! It almost doesn't look real! Absolutelly amazing!!!
Greetings.

Linda Reeder said...

I have seen these but I had forgotten about them. They are truly amazing.

Katie said...

Yay for the holdout houses! How can you not gawk at these fabulous flowers?

Wayne said...

Holy Macaroni!

Katney said...

Last year the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk went past there on the third day. I haven't seen this year's route, but I wouldn't mind the Alki Point portion being repeated. (September 12-14--watch for many people walking--mostly wearing pink.)

• Eliane • said...

OooOooOOoooh, I love, love, love this! What a fantastic exuberance! It must put everybody in a happy mood instantly. And I am glad I am not in charge of watering the plants there...
I think it is very smart of their owners: it really turn them into landmarks and contrasts beautifully with the modern condos. I say bravo!

USelaine said...

Oh, and I love the tile roofs too! These are incredible! The car even matches the geraniums! Have I used enough exclamation points?!

Jilly said...

My God, the owners must never stop watering and caring for these plants. Incredible. OTT but kind of charming too.

D said...

Very beautiful! But, from my brown thumb point of view, it looks like a lot of work. Glad someone else doesn't mind that we get to enjoy the fruits of their labor!

Louis la Vache said...

Thank you for sharing these delightful, smile-inducing houses with us!

Chow Down Seattle said...

I love these houses! I always make sure to show these houses to visiting friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they really are something! It must take all day to water all those!

Becky said...

I can't even imagine. Wow. Thanks for sharing this!!!

Janet Dillon Robinson said...

Great shot, these houses look best in full bloom!