Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cherry VW Truck



Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

My husband's first vehicle ever was one of these vintage double cab, split windshield VW trucks. I think he said his dad had to co-sign for it. He had a SAAB when I met him, so I don't know what became of the old odd beastie. I know he drove it from CA to work on a sheep ranch in Idaho when he was like 19. I like to think someone has fixed it up and that it is somewhere in cherry condition, like this one that Michael from Paris came across in someone's Capitol Hill driveway. I later saw it and also snapped a shot of it, cuz I hadn't realized after seeing his via the little screen on the back of his camera that it was a truck rather than a bus. "Long may you run. . ."

8 comments:

abc said...

These are just so cool. I love the red in this one and the pick-up style conversion. They seem like they keep going forever, don't they.
By the way Kim, I noticed that it took a very long time to load this page and I think I noticed that before on your site. Maybe it has something to do with the page length in combination with the size of the photos (in MB's or KB's). I'm not an expert in this field, but maybe take a look at it. As a general rule, many people surf away if a page takes too long to load. Hope you don't mind me noting; most people don't comment on this type of thing, but just vote with their feet :-)

Tomate Farcie said...

What a cool vehicle! And, of course, you have to love the color ;) I am very, very fond of old vehicles (in fact I own one, but not as old as this one). I personally think after a certain age, a vehicle has a soul, a personality, a gender... Great find!

PJ said...

Oh, the stories I could tell about VW's! Excellent!

Maya said...

*sigh* It reminds me of the old '64 VW bus I drove for a year when I was 18. This one is a much nicer color though!

Chow Down Seattle said...

I've seen this VW truck a few times in that driveway and thought it would be so much fun to own one.

Chow Down Seattle said...

I've seen this VW truck a few times in that driveway and thought it would be so much fun to own one.

Michael Salone said...

Oh and do you remember the smell? They had a distinct smell inside that I'll never forget as "Eau de VW"!

raf said...

Bingo!
Yes, this is an eye-poppin' photo for all the obvious reasons, but it really got my attention because I have a VW bus that I bought new off the showroom floor thirty two years ago. Can't let it go. :)
This beauty is an even older model truck. Love 'em!