Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Beacon Bluff P-Patch


Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

It was a sunny day yesterday with light showers in the evening. Did it get any of you thinking of that seed catalog and what you'll be planting for your kitchen garden? I came across the steepest Seattle P-Patch location I've seen yet, a terraced slope between 14th and 15th Avenues S with fifteen 10' x10' plots. This community garden has the added bonus of mountain views of both the Olympic and the Cascade ranges. There is usually a waiting list for a P-Patch plot in one of the 55 community gardens. The first P-Patches began in the 1970s and more are being developed by neighbors around town all the time, so if you'd like information on where you might get those lovely lettuces, potatoes, carrots and beans going, click here.

9 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

I know of community gardens but haven't heard them called P-Patches before. They should be happy fruit and veges with a view like that.

Pat said...

I'm glad to see that these are still around.

Stefan Jansson said...

Allotment gardens are very popular in Sweden as well. This one with such a view sounds a lot better than one I pass by most every day, it's next to the railway!

Anonymous said...

In these hard times the P-Patch gardens should be one of the most popular places in town. What a wonderful idea.

brattcat said...

I also have never heard these called p-patches before but it's a great name for a smart idea. Love the photo, love the view. What a happy place to dig in the dirt.

Marie-Noyale said...

I am seriously considering it...
I am sure I can find something like that around NY...

ts said...

We have been on a wait list for a Seattle P-Patch for THREE YEARS.
Yea, a lot of people want to garden here-there is just no space.

Kris McCracken said...

An odd mix of styles!

Petrea Burchard said...

I wish we had more of these around here!