Thursday, November 12, 2009

Poppies for Remembrance


Poppies for Remembrance
Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.
I'm visiting Victoria, BC right now. Yesterday, the eleventh day of the eleventh month, at eleven eleven, I witnessed the very touching and well attended Remembrance Day Ceremonies held at the veterans memorial in front of the Parliament Buildings facing the Inner Harbour. A parade brought units from every branch of the Canadian armed forces to stand at attention in the street. An orchestra and choir led the large crowd in singing Oh Canada!, God Save the Queen, Oh God Our Help in Ages Past, and several other selections.  After dozens of formal wreaths had been laid by dignitaries and the ceremonies came to a close, hundreds of people also left their own lapel poppies and other flowers on the steps of the memorial. For a photo which helps to put this one in context, please click on my More Seattle Stuff page.

3 comments:

Don and Krise said...

I'm glad you took time to witness the Canadian's ceremony. An important time indeed.

brattcat said...

The solitary red petals on the granite steps are so poignant. This is such a fine composition.

Copenhagen said...

I always feel so sad and touched on this day. I even brought my poppy to Denmark to remember this special day.

Thanks for sharing.