Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Live Work Space in Columbia City Neighborhood


Live Work Space in Columbia City Neighborhood
Photo & Text Copyright 2010 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.
For years we dreamed of finding a loft in a converted industrial or commercial building, someplace where we could have studio and living space combined. Here is new construction designed by architect Philip Christofides that I spied while on a walk through the Columbia City neighborhood. It brings those elements together on a small scale in an eight unit three story live/work space townhouse sort of arrangement, with garden decks on the roof. Still nothing we could probably afford, but fun to see none the less. I would have liked to have seen the interiors and found this article with some photos included. The opposite side of the development faces the street and has retail spaces. Does your city have these sorts of developments that might appeal to creative people? And no, that's not Chuck on the red Vespa :-).

6 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

But I'm sure Chuck has been here. This looks like a great place. I like the architecture. I can only think about one such place in Haninge. And that would be the apartments next to the gallery in Österhaninge where they have an art promenade every summer.

brattcat said...

We've had a couple repurposing projects here though I haven't been inside them. Good luck finding the place of your dreams.

Pam Lane said...

Los Angeles has the Brewery Art Colony, where old manufacturing buildings have been converted into huge loft apartment/studio combos. They don't look like much from the outside, but it's pretty amazing what some people have done with them inside. They have an open house "Art Walk" twice a year.

Pat said...

I love lofts and actually have one here in Belgrade (my son is there now, but we will be exchanging apartments after the wedding). I love the views, the quiet...but mine is a four-floor walk-up....

Anyway, as much as I like all that, I don't think I'd move into the one you've shown in your photo...somehow too modern for me.

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Lofts become more and more popular. My wife and me are looking for a new domicile too. There are many lofts here, but they're too expensive.

Anonymous said...

They are popular here too. It looks like this will be perfect for some lots of people.