Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Love Lock Near the Locks in Seattle


Love Lock Near the Locks in Seattle
Photo & Text © 2010 Kim- Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved; no use, alteration, reproduction or republishing in any media.
I've finally spotted it happening here in Seattle. Just one, mind you, but the moment I saw it and the setting it was in, I knew why a lock was fastened to this cable. In dozens of cities all over the globe people are fastening locks on bridge railings and public gates and fences and throwing away the key. The phenomenon is dubbed "Love Locks," and I first heard about it via Paris Daily Photo last month. Eric posted a photo he took of hundreds of locks fastened to the fence along the Pont des Arts, a pedestrian bridge in Paris. I have since read about it happening in many cities large and small. Apparently it is a declaration of undying love inspired by the actions of a character in a 1994 novel and subsequent 2004 movie. A couple European cities contend that the practice started there first, before the novel. How romantic. I've been on the lookout for any Love Locks here in Seattle and just came across the first example I've seen: a lone lock discretely fastened to the cable fence of the new Salmon Bay Natural Area overlook. And, wouldn't you know it, within sight of the famous Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. I imagine the person who placed it there threw the key into the waters below. If you've seen this taking place elsewhere in Seattle, please let me know. 

9 comments:

Pat said...

Okay, that's it! I have a couple of locks around the house I no longer need....so....Belgrade might get its first love lock.

I like the solitude of this lonely lock, but maybe it won't be lonely for long.

Shell Sherree said...

I heard of this first at Eric's post ~ I haven't seen it here yet but if I do, it will be nice to know what it means! Lovely, Kim.

Halcyon said...

It's not as cute of a lock as those in Paris, but still nice!

Kim said...

@ Bibi, you trend setter, you :-).

@ Shell, I bet one day you'll paint the Pont des Arts scene.

@ Halcyon, you have to understand that the Ballard neighborhood where I saw this prides itself on its blue collar fishing and saw mill neighborhood heritage. A sturdy no frills padlock pretty much sums up the vibe.

Janet said...

Hello Kim - your photographs are so good. Capturing the beauty and quirkiness of Seattle. I'm here now - would love to meet up. Do you want some competition for best photo of the day in Seattle? I would definitely come 2nd but it would be fun to try.
Janet

Petrea Burchard said...

Kim, I can't see the photo at the moment but I'll compliment you on it anyway!

I saw on the CDP website that I missed your blog birthday. Such an auspicious occasion! Happy birthday, you are one of the best.

Adam and Hilary said...

I have seen some locks on rainier avenue. I'm not sure if they were love locks. They were around a cable. That is such a cute idea!

Virginia said...

There too? I have a bunch from Paris. i'll post it soon and link to yours!
V

Rebekah Shewell said...

Hello,Thanks to your posting my wife and I just got back from Ballard locks and left our lock their complete with our Initials and time of year. We sadly could not find the lock you mentioned at the overlook so we placed ours under the train trestle on a huge cable that comes up from the ground to the tracks. I believe it won't get removed here and if people choose they have space to add more.
If you go to my Facebook you can see pics of the lock and our day under the photo album Susan and I..
thanks for sharing this :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/album.php?aid=248427&id=1064627429