Friday, February 18, 2011

Mid Century Round


Mid Century Round
Photo & Text © 2011 Kim- Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved; no use, alteration, reproduction or republishing in any media.
Perhaps many cities boast buildings in the round, and Seattle has a few examples. None so prominent, though, as the twin towers of the Westin Hotel. Here the original south tower is framed in the view. The 40 story cylindrical building opened in 1969 as the Washington Plaza Hotel. The elevated monorail tracks from the 1962 World's Fair passed right by it. Its twin (out of view here) wasn't built until 1988. I remember always passing the Capitol Records building in LA when I was a kid and thinking how cool it was that the architecture echoed the shape of record albums. What round buildings does your city have?

7 comments:

brattcat said...

We have an old round schoolhouse in Brookline, Vermont.

Pat said...

We have a round sports arena, but maybe that doesn't count...not sure what else is round here...

I've always thought that hotel looks like a large thermos!

Wayne said...

Uhhhh, strictly speaking, none.

I'll probably realize I'm wrong about 3:00 a.m.

Anonymous said...

Just a small correction: the twin was actually completed in 1982.

Kim said...

Anon, thanks for the correction. The information I read about the twin said '88, and I didn't research it further. Appreciate it,
-Kim

Ben Nakagawa said...

Very nice treatment of image, Kim. I like this and on on 13th. Something really appeals to me.
and nice looks of the site. I might consider make over for mine.
PS. Thanks for thinking about us. yes, we are fine.

Flatt 52 said...

Hello! I am new to your blog but already in love. My husband & I are finally taking our honeymoon to Seattle so this is a great preview. Could you tell me what the weather us typically like in late April?