Thursday, August 21, 2008

In Memory, With Thankfulness

In Memory, With Thankfulness

Photo & Text Copyright 2008 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

It seems to me the heart of musicians' work is playing together, listening to each other, listening to oneself and adding that offering into the mix. Each member influencing and influenced by the others. When the hard work to bring a composite vision together becomes tight, it's an incredible experience to be part of or witness. When you lose a longtime and admired partner, friend, and collaborator, an essential part of who you are leaves the stage when they do. Those left behind may morph and change and grow, but are never the entity they were or would become with that person's unique gift in the mix. My own saxophonist husband had to unexpectedly bow out last year, and so the news of 17 year veteran DMB saxophonist LeRoi Moore's passing on Tuesday made me think of him, his family and band mates with a lot of sadness and great sympathy. DMB figures large here in Seattle, and LeRoi Moore is such an integral part of the music that touches millions of ears and moves countless people like me to sing out loud in the car or dance while we clean house. DMB is touring California just now and, as is their tradition, will play the (Columbia) Gorge in George, WA over Labor Day weekend, with Flecktones saxophonist Jeff Coffin sitting in. I am wishing them all well. I offer this photo I took of a local player this summer as a tribute to a fine working musician who brought a lot of joy to our ears.

10 comments:

Becky said...

It is true. Being part of a tightly knit production that comes together with heavenly sounds gives a musician such a feeling of completeness and joy...as well as goosebumps.

I'm a musician so I can definitely see what you're saying. This is a great shot, and a perfect tribute to the friend who passed.

Small City Scenes said...

Great tribute and great shot. Sadness, true, but somehow we have to keep moving on. MB

Linda Reeder said...

Not being a follower of the Seattle music scene or the Dave Matthews Band, I had to do a bit of research to get up to speed. I found the comment "It's easier to leave than to be left." I'm sure that's how his friends and associates are feeling right now.

ft. lauderdale daily photo said...

A fine tribute, indeed.

Virginia said...

This photo is wonderful. LeRoi would be proud I am sure.

Chow Down Seattle said...

Thank you so much for paying tribute to LeRoi Moore. I am and have been a huge DMB fan since 1993. I will be going to the three Gorge shows this Labor Day weekend as I do every year. It will truly be different without LeRoi there blowing away on his sax and filling our lives with his beautiful music. He will be deeply missed.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Kim thanks for your frequent visits to Avignon and kind comments, much appreciated.

Your photos are always remarkable. I love the details in this one, the hand in particular. Nice tribute.

I enjoyed the Venusian fashion shot too!!!

M. CHRISTOPHE said...

Nice close up and catch of reflection .

Traca Savadogo said...

You said it! Beautiful.

Janet said...

This is a wonderful photo and a fine tribute.