Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Theme Day: Empty

Empty Market

Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

The CDPBlogger's first of the month theme for July is EMPTY. I thought I'd show you that all that coffee Seattlites drink doesn't necessarily keep us awake deep into the night. The java jive subsides at some point and the sidewalks roll up all over town. Even Pike Place Market rests, empty of goods, merchants and shoppers. All is quiet until trucks start arriving for the next morning's work.

To see how cleverly City Daily Photo Blog authors have interpreted the theme, click here to view thumbnails for all participants. I must warn you, though, it may seem as if the world has become deserted. Perhaps you'll find a trace of life somewhere, but it may seem a bit like scenes from an episode of the Twilight Zone, I'm afraid. You know, the one where a neutron bomb has gone off and left everything perfectly intact except the living things :-).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "This photo is currently unavailable" image really captures the essence of emptiness ;)

Jilly said...

I fell off my chair laughing...I was even stupid enough to click on the photo and see the direction back to Seattle DP. Totally and utterly brilliant, Kim.

You are priceless!

slim said...

Yep! perfectly empty . . . great interpretation.

joshuadf said...

Looks like a typo. The link should be:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattledailyphoto/3678284560/

Great idea by the way! There are a lot of regularly empty places in Seattle, including UW campus evenings and weekends.

Kim said...

UH. . .WHAT? Nothing intended, I assure you. The photo is up and shows perfectly on my screen. Can someone verify that the photo is up now? Thank you.

A lot of work went into the photo, so it's disconcerting that it is not showing. . .not an intentional theme day thing.
-Kim

Tash said...

It may be empty but the spot is very inviting - must be the rich tones in the photo. Good warning note for the Theme Day link.

cieldequimper said...

Much better now than when I looked in earlier! Wonderful shot, Kim!

lavenderlady said...

Excellent choice...what time did you have to stay up till to get this photo!

Chuck Pefley said...

Sure is at night ... anything but right now as I write this comment from my booth, however. People are tripping over each other. Nice choice as usual.

Anonymous said...

I did return to see the actual photo but I must say that the "photo unavailable" would have been pretty creative choice.

marley said...

It looks great at night with the neon signs. Good choice for empty :)

brattcat said...

I came by earlier too and got the 'photo unavailable' notice. I would have figured you were being clever if you had not included such interesting notes about the photo. Glad I came back. This is really a great shot. Evokes feelings of very late nights (or very early mornings) when sound takes on an entirely new dimension.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Wonderful picture for theme day!

Daily Chicago Photo said...

Wonderful photo. The light, the colors, really great. And it looks so effortless but know it was not so.

Kate said...

Kim, I just posted on another blog that scenes like yours with areas that normally are teeming with life are jarring to my senses. They all look deserted and forlorn. It's not that I don't like the photos, it's just so unusual and disconcerting almost.

freegal said...

I love how the neon lights add color to the whole shot.

Mirela said...

WOW, I don't think I've ever seen the Pike Place market and the streets around it so eerie and empty (even in the middle of the night). Great shot! You are absolutely right - the world in all of the "Empty" photos looks as if it has been deserted...

Don and Krise said...

Very good. A view of the market most people never see.

Greg said...

Love the shot, especially with the neon sign in the back

Sally said...

Lovely shot, Kim.
Sydney Daily Photo