Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dick's at Dawn


dick's at dawn, originally uploaded by penseroso.

photo and text © ervin vice

I was all on fire early one morning last summer, testing out my new Nikon D300 and trying all sorts of fun stuff with it.

I saw this apparently empty cab parked on the side of the road in lower Queen Anne and immediately felt inspiration take hold of me. Rather than wonder where the driver went, instead I wondered what kind of shot I could get if I looked through the cab and across the street. Its windows were open to the balmy air, so I knew I could get a clear view. I assumed position right beside the cab on the drivers side and started firing off frames.

The shutter on the D300 is rather noisy, so I shouldn't have been surprised when the driver bolted upright and stared straight into the camera, eyes as big as plates. He'd been sprawled out across the passenger seat, sleeping between fares.

"Oh, it's OK," I said, nonchalantly, "I'm just taking pictures" - as if that explained everything.

"Oh," he said, and promptly fell back down to resume his sleep.

I wish security guards had his attitude.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo! Every picture has its story huh? :) I love Seattle even though I don't live there (I wish I could though).

Unknown said...

Just to say hi! ,and wish you and your love ones a great 2009!
Fernando Casals.
Buenos Aires,Argentina

Chuck Pefley said...

Ervin, one of the hazards of open car windows :)

Thanks for filling in for Kim. Your catty sales person is awesome :)

Happy Holidays to you, and to that lucky Kim enjoying sunnier climes!

lindsey. said...

Love this story! And the shot as well. I remember this Dick's location quite well from when we lived in Belltown. Thanks for continuing to capture such great memories from home!

Lindsey
San Diego, CA

Wayne said...

A great image Ervin.

Sally said...

LOL! Merry Ho Ho Hos to you and yours - thanks for following my musings at Sydney Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments everyone!

@Curly: get well soon!