Sunday, March 06, 2011

The McCoy Tyner Quintet @ Jazz Alley


Bill Frisell, Gary Bartz, McCoy Tyner, John Patitucci, & Herlin Riley
Photo & Text © 2011 Kim- Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved; no use, alteration, reproduction or republishing in any media.
The combined excellence of musicianship of this quintet and their obvious enjoyment of playing together made for a very exciting and beautiful evening of music at Jazz Alley. I caught the second set of the evening and was seated (to my delight) next to the stage. Pictured from left to right are Bill Frisell on guitar, Gary Bartz on saxophones, McCoy Tyner on piano, John Patitucci on bass, & Herlin Riley on drums. They had me heart and soul from the first gorgeous piece to the last. What an enormous treat to hear these talented guys together! I have long admired Mr. Tyner's lush playing and compositions and had heard him live once before many years ago with Sonny Rollins. This was my favorite performance of the two, though, and I hope this quintet gets a chance to record together and capture this special music they made so wonderfully together.


McCoy Tyner Quintet at Jazz Alley
IMG_2921

3 comments:

brattcat said...

that must have been amazing.

Bill O'Grady said...

I caught the first set. It was indeed amazing. Everybody in the house was smiling throughout.

Braeside Cottage said...

Nice photographs. Can you tell me, were the photographs taken on the evening of the 5th? I have a recording of the evening of the 4th March. Thank you.
Allan.