Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Historic Ballard

Historic Ballard

Photo & Text Copyright 2008 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

The Ballard neighborhood is known for its maritime heritage, its Nordic roots, and its former glory days as the west coast's shingle mill capitol. This Mid-century modern structure was a Manning's Restaurant and until recently a Denny's. Community groups in Ballard sought and obtained historic landmark status to avoid demolition for a multistory condominium development which they oppose. The neighborhood is undergoing rapid change. The building is an example of sorts of Googie architecture from the late 50s and early 60s, with its soaring and unusual roof lines, and was a predominant theme in west coast commercial architecture during the science-influenced "space age" days. The dispute continues and the fate of the property is still being worked out.

8 comments:

Chuck Pefley said...

Unique? Yep! Historic? Of course. Landmark? Oh yeah! Worthy of preservation? Not in my opinion, but obviously there are many who seem to think so. Ate there many times ... mmm ... Denny's Grand Slam. My mouth is watering now -:)

Bursa Daily Photo said...

what an interesting roof. Doesn't it catch the rain though?

Crib Tales said...

Oh wow! I used to live right down the street from that very landmark. I didn't know it had closed down. I have to agree with the PP, Chuck, on this one. But it is sad to see such a classic neighborhood getting so modernized. Love the pillow fight pictures, btw!

Anonymous said...

We're in the PNW! Everything catches rain. ;)

Jim Klenke said...

I didnt know that had its own architectural style.

Small City Scenes said...

good ole Ballard. Went to high school there (not Ballard high though), and hung out there when I could. I am sure the old building has some historic value but I am not sure what. MB

alice said...

Aaatchoum! (I don't know how you say that in English), since yesterday I don't stop sneezing, I think I'm allergic to feathers! Have a good day, Kim ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Tough call. Maybe the new landowners can/should incorporate this thing into a larger development. THAT would be a challenege, but I've seen taller tasks conquered.

It IS true that Seattle's demolishing it's historic buildings. I see it every week. Funn though, that this would be a rallying building. It hardly seems as remarkable as the brick apartments and warehouses from a hundred years ago that are being demolished regularly.

Still...