Saturday, July 18, 2009

Which Hand Defines

Which Hand Defines

Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

When you see white hair, do you see what's underneath it? I started asking myself if I really see older people, or perhaps look past them, not take in the details? It struck me that in his right hand this man carries a guitar, indicating one of his abilities, talents and interests in life, and in his left hand he grasps a cane, indicating a possible loss of ability. Is he able? Disabled? What did you first notice about him? This shot was taken in the heart of old Ballard. (Sorry for this very delayed post. . .modem problems for days and posting from the library when I can.)

6 comments:

brattcat said...

My first response...I thought he was handsome and wondered what he looked like from the front.

Ineke said...

The cane cought my eye first, but also because he is walking very erect, not what i would have expected.
Good photo catch!

Small City Scenes said...

I see The Teacher. MB

Unknown said...

Likely he's about my age. I think I took in the whole and I know I registered, "VERY interesting, want to know more!" The cane just comes, as we say, with the territory, it's how he's using it, to get a great stride--and the guitar of course, and his super hair & all! Yah, wanna meet this guy!

Anonymous said...

What I first notice about him is how stylish he is! And I love the white hair.

Seattle Tall Poppy said...

I love the title of this post. Makes me think...in a random glimpse from a stranger, what defines us? I love that his body may be feeble enough to require a cane, but his hands are still capable enough to play the guitar.