Monday, February 22, 2010

Seattle Skyline from Dr. José Rizal Park


Seattle Skyline from Dr. Jose Rizal Park
Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.
Here is a morning view from the northwest end of Beacon Hill at Dr. José Rizal Park. This park and the nearby Doctor José Rizal Bridge built in 1912 honor the memory of the famed Filipino patriot. Over 30,000 Seattle area residents are of Filipino heritage, and this park with one of the city's most spectacular overlooks has strong associations with the Filipino American community here. The mosaic you see in the foreground and below is titled East Is West. One can look through shaped spaces in the mosaic which frame the skyline view. It was created by the late Seattle University art professor Val Laigo. This post goes as a shout out to lovely Hilda of My Manila Daily Photo, one of the friendliest bloggers on the planet whose great coverage of the Manila metro area is a real treat for all of us in the City Daily Photo Blog community.

11 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for another photo of a place in Seattle I do not know. I just love the mosaics....

Dubai said...

its a nice view

joshuadf said...

Love the picture. I was at Cascade Playground yesterday (Minor Ave N at Harrison St) and noticed a view of these same skyscrapers from the other side! There's also a bonus view of the Space Needle peeking above the new Amazon headquarters construction on Harrison. You should try to meet up with Gabi (Seattle Sketcher) over there; it's just a couple blocks from the Seattle Times.

Kim said...

Reminder. . .I speak Spanish and spam links are deleted immediately.

Kim said...

@ Bibi we'll have to trek Beacon Hill when next you're in town :-).

@ Dubai, thank you!

@ Joshua, Very glad to make you're acquaintance! Thanks for the reminder of the great angles from Cascade and suggestion for connection with Gabi (whose work I admire). I have a Flickr set from my photowalks in Cascade/SoLakeUnion, and I've been wanting to walk it again soon. Let me know if you guys would like to show me around "your" neighborhood :-). Thanks,
-Kim

Virginia said...

Oh I hope Hilda gets over here. How lovely . I would love to see that mosaic up close and rub my fingers on it!! ( I'm touchy feely. I have a hard time in museums!)
V

Lowell said...

A delightful shot of your beautiful city!

Louis la Vache said...

A fine tip of the hat to Hida!

Hilda said...

I came because of the skyline and the intriguing colorful spot in the corner, so imagine my surprise when I saw the title and your sweet note. Thank you so much, Kim! I love the colorful mural and especially what it stands for. Sounds very much like CDP, yes? :)

Deden said...

a very tall building you have there.. wonder to climb it up and shoot a picture from there.. must be great.. nice shot Kim.

Jilly said...

It always astounds me how beautiful a cityscape can be. I remember when I first lived in LA and looked down at the city from the hills and saw those lights and was entranced. You always capture your city so beautifully - as here.

I so agree with you about the lovely Hilda!