Thursday, August 18, 2011

It's Hollyhock Time

It's Hollyhock Time
Photo & Text © 2011 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved. No use, reproduction, alteration, "pinning" on visual collections websites or republishing in any media.

An urban front garden in the Queen Anne Hill neighborhood boasts these 7 to 9 foot towering lovelies. My mother in law once showed me how she made "Hollyhock dolls" from these blossoms with the petals forming a delicate skirt around the pretend figure. One of childhood's summer pleasures. The homeowner was not at play in the flowers, but working quite hard at weeding when I walked by. Her raspberries were also tall but not yet ripe, and the whole front garden was very beautiful.
IMG_5298IMG_5296

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim... you're back!! I hope you had a refreshing vacation. I checked in often to see if you were back home, and HERE you are. You're story about your MIL using the flowers to make dolls, reminds me of my sister and I when we were girls doing those similar things. Love the shots of the house and gardens...

Julie said...

I love hollyhocks. As a kid, my sister and I used to make little dolls from crab-apples and toothpicks and use the hollyhock bloom for the skirt. Thanks for the lovely photo and the memories.