Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rapunzel in Her Lonely Tower

Rapunzel in Her Lonely Tower
Photo & Text © 2012 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved. No use, reproduction, alteration or republishing in any media.
She's not looking too pleased with the prospect of the two possible suitors ignoring her as they pass by below, but you'd expect a bit of a cranky attitude from someone whose been up in the west tower of the Fremont Bridge for so many years. She is one of two neon figures from children's stories (the other is from How the Elephant Got His Trunk) that grace the windows of the two towers. A little friend of mine who just turned four last weekend was so excited to share with me that her birthday cake was to feature Rapunzel, I just had to go over to the bridge to nab this shot for her to see. It was my fave fairy tale from my Brothers Grimm collection when I was small, too. I showed you an earlier photo I took of this whimsical urban art by neon artist Rodman Miller before here in 2007. It was removed for awhile for repairs and then reinstalled. You'll notice the video camera has been moved, too.

6 comments:

Maya said...

Sweet!

Kate said...

You and Brattcat have been featuring towers, and a few of us responders have commented on Rapunzel. It was also a favorite of mine. Love the concept of having her in neon on the tower!! Your little friend will be thrilled with the photo!!

Thrifted Shift said...

That's great! I can't believe I've lived in Seattle for 20 years and not known that was there! Thanks!

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Neon is so cool and pleasing to the eye.

vancouverstreetblog.blogspot.com said...

A great shot and super explanation!!!

Pat said...

I've always like this Rapunzel, but never took her photo. Here's a view of something that reminded me of Rapunzel here in Belgrade.