Monday, November 12, 2012

General & Sharpshooter?

General & Sharpshooter? by Seattle Daily Photo
Photo & Text © 2012 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved.
Today is the observance of Veteran's Day here in the USA. Recently I've been doing some historical research about my father, uncle, and father-in-law's World War II army service, tracing their different divisions' and companies' paths through France, Belgium, and Germany. It got me thinking about this gentleman whom I met on a 4th of July a few years ago. I know nothing about him except that he was entering a restaurant here in Seattle as we were leaving and that he is a veteran of WWII. I commented on his uniform. He said I wouldn't see many like it as it was from 1942. I noted that he had one star which I think means his rank was brigadier general, and after uploading the picture I noticed a silver cross within a wreath with six hanging bars, the ones I could read were names of various weapons. I described this to a friend of mine who had served in the army in a more recent conflict and he thought it indicated this World War II army officer had been an expert marksman. I haven't a clue what his other colorful bars and pins represent. If you know, please share with us.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Kim, I wish I knew the answers, but I don't. A little surfing will probably supply the information.. I am impressed with this man's military bearing, and impressed also with your historic exploration of your relatives' service.

PS. This is my third attempt to post this comment because of word verification. Grrrr!

Ah, c'mon...number 4

brattcat said...

he looks as if he has truly lived life.

GC said...

This is a great entry. Thanks for sharing.

Stefan Jansson said...

A fine portrait it is.