Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hideaway

Hideaway by Seattle Daily Photo
Photo & Text © 2014 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved.
I took the photo because I loved seeing the lacy pattern back-lighted by the warm entryway. I had no idea until I looked through the lens to focus that beyond the wrought iron and the transom of 1923 1st Avenue, just visible at the top of the interior stairway there is a small unlit neon sign that says "Hotel." I had missed seeing the little sandwich board sign on the sidewalk that would have alerted me that this is the entrance to Pensione Nichols, a small European-style bed and breakfast hotel tucked away in a historic building near Pike Place Market.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought the neon at the top of the stairs was a shadow from the scroll work in the transom... interesting find.

Kim said...

Hi Madge,
You are right. It is a shadow you are seeing. The light is not turned on in this shot. I believe you'll see it glowing red/pink when it is on. :-). Thanks for stopping by!
-Kim