Friday, August 18, 2006

Vertical Highrise

This is a must see if you visit Seattle: Smith Tower. Billed as the tallest office building in the world outside of New York City when it was completed in 1914, it still holds a very special place in the Seattle skyline. It is 42 stories tall, and quite elegant. There is an elevator up to an observation deck (opens at 10 AM) from which you can get a spectacular view of Seattle. AND it's a view in which the Space Needle is included, and, unlike the Space Needle, it's FREE (the Space Needle costs $12-16 to take the elevator to it's observation deck). The Smith Tower lobby and elevators are wonderful period pieces, and there is a (surprise) Starbucks attached to the lobby.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

kaa said...

hi kim, this is interestingly taken. read your nordic week posts. didn't know that finns migrated to Seattle as well. thought most of them near minnesota..

Anonymous said...

Very nice shot Kim! I love that it's looking up, gives me a feeling of how high the building is.

Don't you get amazed at how we have developed over the years?? In 1914, a 42 story building is a skyscraper, but today that is just an average building, we see buildings twice or thrice this! Amazing!

Jazzy said...

Great shot.
Thanks for stopping by on my DP.

Irredento Urbanita said...

I don't know why, but I can see there a chinese touch. It makes remember some places from that asian country.

Greetings from Perú

Anonymous said...

LOVE this shot, beautiful composition, and I had no idea there was an observastion deck up there.

Felicia said...

Hi Kim, thanks for visiting my blog while I was on vacation. Hmm, maybe tomorrow you'll show that fabulous view?

Kate said...

I like it (the photo), I'd like to see the interior, but, the photo make's me feel a littl queasy!