Sunday, April 13, 2008

Memory Lanes

The Lanes Were Open on Game Day

Photo & Text Copyright 2008 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.

This popular blue collar neighborhood institution of 51 years closes at midnight tonight. The property will be developed into a multistory apartment building next year. Sunset Bowl seems always crowded and is a rare 24/7 mecca for family fun in rapidly gentrifying Ballard. When we moved to Seattle and the kids were looking for something to do late one night we ended up at the lanes. We've been back in the years since, but that first time there was a group of men in their 30s bowling next to us, all sorts of ethnicities in the group, all college grads and professionals who were in town for a long time friends' reunion. They had all bowled together here during their high school days and they all still kept in touch. Theirs is just one small story of all the special relationships that must have been formed here since 1957. Perhaps they and others would like a memento? All the equipment and furnishings will be auctioned on April 22 starting at 10 AM, with previews at 8 AM.

14 comments:

Chuckeroon said...

Good morning Kim! This is a nice posting on the importance of the old bowling alley and the memories.

The empty lanes and the one player strangely re-inforce the comment on community and large gathering.

Tks for recent visits to R u T. (Your lousy weather is passing and we've now got lovely hot sun punctuated by April showers. Should bea good Spring...let's hope it leads to an abundant harvest that lifts the world food shortage.

Stefan Jansson said...

That seems a bit sad. Many people will probably miss this place.

Ken said...

We have a similar situation. It has been proposed the town bowling alley be converted into a medical centre.
Doctors are needed. The bowling alley is losing money.

Kaurii said...

Hey Kim,

Kaurii from Charlottesville here. Thanks for the comment on my "DMB Sucks" post yesterday. Your Blog was my inspiration for starting this daily photo thing. I'm heading out to Seattle on holiday in July, and I was just looking for some Seattle photos when I came across your blog. The rest is history. Thank you for the inspiration!

Kaurii

Crib Tales said...

Oh I so had some good times at Sunset Bowl! I will miss their bowling pin shaped beer bottles and most of all the great atmosphere and good times. Wish we were close enough now to bid on a pin for memories sake!

Pat said...

Oh, no! I have never been to Sunset Bowl, only by it, but I am so sorry it's going to be history. Another institution bites the dust for a yuppie high-rise. Darn.

Anonymous said...

Kind of sad. I've never been to this establishment, but I did spend quite a bit of time at another bowling alley when I was a kid in a different place and time.

I guess it's hard for these kind of places to compete with World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, or Grand Theft Auto.

Chuck Pefley said...

I've been meaning to get over there. Glad you made it. Ballard is sure changing!! Beginning to resemble West Vancouver a little bit. Love the Christmas ball this bowler is using!!

Jim Klenke said...

All for progress. Great. I like the picture, it looks modern.

Brittany Kalaj Margulieux said...

Thank you for the welcome :] I'm pretty excited about blogging on Dallas.

This story breaks my heart. Our Deep Ellum District is going through similar changes. A lot of rezoning is shutting down a ton of venues and hangouts that have been around for ages. What a bummer.

IamMBB said...

It's sad to note passings like this one. Your picture speaks eloquently.

Kitty said...

awesome photo!
How sad that it's closing?

Chow Down Seattle said...

Hi Kim, thanks for posting this picture of Sunset Bowl. When I first moved to Seattle 10 years ago my friends and I used to go to Sunset Bowl every Saturday night. I have a lot of great memories there and it's sad to see it go. I'll truly miss it. I heard they may build a new Sunset Bowl in the future, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Until then I'll continue to bowl over at West Seattle Bowl. Thanks for the memories!

Jim Klenke said...

Not sure if you enjoy sports, but I am watching the Dallas Mavericks play in Seattle for what could be the last game. Like the bowling alley all for the mighty $$.