Sunday, November 22, 2009

Rick Steves


Rick Steves
Photo & Text Copyright 2009 Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing.
I attended a lecture last night called Travel as a Political Act given by Rick Steves, the popular travel author and host of PBS television's Rick Steves' Europe and public radio's Travel With Rick Steves. Rick is based locally, just north of Seattle in Edmonds, WA. His guidebooks were key in making a special anniversary and birthday trip we made to Paris in 2004 delightful, memorable and carefree. My husband had been to England and Honduras, but I had never traveled outside of North America.

It was after that trip that I developed a habit of checking a live Paris web cam everyday to get a sense of the weather and a glimpse of the beautiful City of Light I had fallen head over heals for. I abandoned that practice when I discovered by chance Eric Tenin's Paris Daily Photo blog in 2005. Through Eric's beautiful daily photos and his journalist's knack of presenting interesting and informative commentary, I grew to understand more and more about Paris in particular and France and the French in general. It was his influence and the encouragement of others following his lead that got me photoblogging about Seattle in 2006. That has led me to discover first hand my own city's history, culture, people, and places through the lens of a camera and share it with others. I continue to visit others' City Daily Photo blogs from every continent except Antarctica. The number of current CDPBlogs has grown from that first handful of cities to over 450. I have made many friends among them and become better informed and aware of the heritage, culture and day to day happenings in cities around the globe. Our thoughtful discussions and the multitude of helpful perspectives have shaped my understanding of the world and informed my own citizenship. This has led me to be more curious about international news, and has resulted in my regularly listening to several countries' and regions' daily news programs. This proves to be a helpful mirror of how my own country is perceived and the effects it has upon the rest of the world. So, even though I'm mostly an armchair traveler through my friend's' blogs at present :-), Rick's insights on how foreign travel and interacting with people from other cultures shapes us politically certainly resonated with my experiences with you all. If you'd like to check out his new book on the subject, his recent visit to Iran, or any of his travel materials and programs, click here.

14 comments:

Pat said...

Very interesting post, Kim, all-around, and although I'm not quite as well traveled as some, I do have in-country living experiences in France and Serbia. I'm planning a trip to India at Christmas (Yankee Goes East!), but every day, like you, I enjoy cybertraveling, thanks to City Daily Photo!

Kim said...

And what is wonderful about that, Bibi, is that you will slip us all into your luggage when you head to India and we will get to see it with you! I can't wait. I will be in the SF Bay Area. Will you look up some of our Indian blog friends? Please post your itinerary and plan on posting some food shots for us (comfort food for me is Indian).
-Kim

Anonymous said...

This portrait was so familiar that I smiled when I read the name. I saw him when he began his travel shows -- how long ago was that -- but no longer watch it faithfully. I enjoyed your post about CDP too.

My apologies for not coming around. I am on a self-imposed sleep or hibernation but can't seem to quit posting stuff.

Jilly said...

What a fascinating post. First the sensitive portrait of Rick Steves. I confess I didn't know what he looked like although I'd heard of his travel books.

Loved reading about how you finally got to Eric's Paris Daily Photo and then became a CDP phoographer yourself (par excellence, I may say) and now you are an armchair traveller. Beautifully written, Kim.

Leif Hagen said...

Rick's a great guy! I heard him speak at Luther Seminary in St. Paul a couple years ago. Think of all the places he has seen and explored during his life!

Virginia said...

Love seeing Rick up close! Why Rick has been to Paris with me several times. He's a terrific guy to have along!:) I must agree that our own dear Eric turned me on to blogging as well. For quite a while I thought he was a one man show then realized one theme day that there were Daily Photobloggers all over the world. It has certainly broadened my horizons. As I told Eric this summer, I now have friends around the world that I never had before. Pretty amazing isn't it! And BTW, one day I hope to get to Seattle and go shooting with you and Chuck!!
V

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I record RIck Steve's travel shows on PBS and enjoy them. He did none on how he makes his travel shows, showing his small crew, out-takes, etc.

Very interesting to read how he affected our travels and led to Eric's Paris Daily Photo. I also discovered photoblogging through Eric's Paris DP, which led to City Daily PHoto, which led to my decision to do a Daily Photo blog for Costa Rica, my wife's decision to do Scottsdale Daily Photo, and together we do Viva la Voyage to share photos from our travels to more than 40 countries.

We have both enjoyed your blog for a long time. Thank you.

Kate said...

Kim, a wonderful "essay" on your entry into the world of photo blogging and also your thoughts on global awareness. I think that most of us in this wonderful group are world travellers in the best sense of the word. Oh, so many places and so little time!!

Marlena said...

In Rick's face I see the sensitivity, worldliness, earthiness and intelligence that is reflected in your blog. His shows and books taught me to travel as the person, the human that I am. This attitude is reflected in your blog and is the reason why I love not only the beautiful photos, but your comments as well. Thanks for continuing with your awesome photo blog. It's not just a daily photo, but a daily refresher :o)

Don and Krise said...

I have enjoyed Rick's shows on TV for quite some time. I have to admit, I've felt a little jealousy at some of the places he has been. He always does such a great job outlining the do's and don'ts for the average traveler.
Also Kim, a wonderful story of what led you to how you blog today.

Maya said...

What a fantastic photo of him! I love this man's perspective on how to travel. I've traveled a lot and usually in the same manner as he suggests in his books, TV shows etc.

I hope you get to travel some more! Did you see my Paris and other Europe photos? It's been great working over here and being able to take weekend trips!

lizziviggi said...

Love the shot of one of my own personal heroes! He's coming to our little Village Books soon and I'm very excited to meet him. Great shot!

brattcat said...

Such a sensitive portrait, such a thoughtful reflection.

Ming the Merciless said...

I love his shows! His travel style is very similar to mine -- low budget and a little off the beaten trail.