Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Coffee + Camera + Chess = 3 of my fave things


Coffee + Camera + Chess = 3 of my fave things
Photo & Text © 2010 Kim- Seattle Daily Photo. All rights reserved; no use, alteration, reproduction or republishing in any media.
My friends, Seattle artists Pam Gray & Anne Baumgartner, turned the chain link fence around the site of the now demolished Sunset Bowl in Ballard into a summer art installation. Incorporating the alphabet and Ballard neighborhood character into their work on recycled or recyclable materials, they gave the community, which misses very much the 24 hour bowling ally that used to fill this lot, something to enjoy and smile about.

See their blog: http://onthefence2010.blogspot.com/2010/06/come-to-fence-event-on-ballard-2nd-sat.html , where there is a great video on an Art Walk night reception. Below are views of both sides of the installation and a shot of what used to occupy this space.

OnTheFencePano2

OnTheFencePano1

Sunset's Bright SignBits of the Old Colorful Sunset Bowl

8 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

What a great set of images!

Jilly said...

This is such a brilliant idea. Perhaps it will stay as a permanent display and if not, there'll be another next summer. Good for them bringing such pleasure to others. I'm with you on the coffee and camera but I never did learn how to play chess.

Chuck Pefley said...

I've noticed this and not taken the time to investigate. Very cool, and thank you for providing the info!

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Hi Kim. Nice shots.

But you've to come to Stuttgart. There is a fence at main-station you must see. It's an eye-catcher. If you want to see some impressions, please come to my blog and see the photos at "OBEN BLEIBEN". I've never seen such a fence decorated with thousands of things...

brattcat said...

this is grand.

Pat said...

What a fun thing to do. I remember Sunset Bowl. Would like to have joined this project!

Meri said...

Good way to record the passage of time and landmarks in the community.

Virginia said...

I wish I could be there and walk down that fence line and enjoy every single piece!!!
V